Friday, November 28, 2008

Getting used to the NICU



By Wednesday, I passed the tests to remove the IV and catheter and finally, earned a trip in a wheel chair to see my little Miles. He'd gained quite a reputation already because of his head of blonde hair and his loud cries. Dave likes to think he has dark roots but I dont see it. His blue eyes were covered because he was in an incubator. But Miles had already passed a major hurdle. He was off the respirator and breathing on his own. Quite a feat for a baby of his gestational age.
His body is still covered in light blond hair which most babies lose by birth, giving him a fur like quality. Although he doesnt look as small as I expected from a preemie, his skin is loose, just waiting to be fattened up.
Lying under the bright light. he kicked his perfect feet constantly like he was still in my womb. I learned how to "contain" him but holding his head and feet tightly and was even allowed to give him a binky. We arent allowed to hold him yet, maybe in a few days.

No comments: